Friday, May 29, 2009

Time

Time passes

Life goes on

The sun rises and sets and rises again.

I have been a little sick, and there has been a near-constant deluge. I have entertained myself grandly on classic (or not-so-classic, but old) books.
This has left me in a strange mood wherein I speak with such astounding vocabulary and grammar as to both astound and stupefy some of my hearers. I have delicious words and phrases floating around my head, like "killing airs" and "equanimity" and "sentiment" and "propriety".

For instance

A thought on satire from Jonathan Swift:
"....a sort of glass wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own, which is the chief reason for that kind of reception it meets in the world, and that so very few are offended with it."

And I shall leave you with a thought from W. M. Thackeray speaking of "...the moral world that has, perhaps, no particular objection to vice, but an insuperable repugnance to hearing vice called by its proper name."

No comments: