Friday, October 17, 2008

Books

I am a very proud reader. I enjoy boasting of my knowledge, and I love knowing more than other people do about things I read about in books.

Books tempt me like nothing else in the world.

I wanted to confess that, once again, books have kept me from accomplishing things in my life that held more importance. About this time last year, I stumbled across a seep blue book that I decided looked interesting. It was a fiction fantasy, but the kind that don't really interest me....like LOTR. I enjoy C.S. Lewis fantasy, because he fills them with scriptural principles, often direct verse references, and they are increasingly more applicable and convicting in the sphere of my life.

This book (I later found out) was written by a teenaged homeschooler. It began with a "middle earth" type land, and of course mythical creatures, familiar and made-up/created. I was immediately immersed in the complex patterns and plot behind the book. It intrigued me with new concepts (like reading other peoples minds, and allowing others to speak to you through their minds without speaking) and strange worldviews.
I found out that the second book was also published, and devoured that in less time.

The books engaged me as no other books have for a long time. In the second book there is a concerted effort to bring themes together, but I am still wondering as to what the point is on religion, and morality. As far as "middle earth" fantasy goes, there is magic and powers and dragons and spells and evil spirits. There are numerous "gods" and an inordinate focus on the practices and beliefs of the devotees thereof. So, I suppose that the writer will be trying to persuade one religion over the other because the protagonist is as yet godless and struggling between the religious/non-religious/pantheistic/atheistic view of all those surrounding him.

It interests me how two distinct beings/souls are portrayed as being inextricably intertwined and melded. The constant banter and communion that forms their relationship encourages me to try harder with the relationships I have, because they can be rewarding, and are even more rewarding for being fought for. (yes, I ended that with a conjunction....pay attention!)

I revel in the mass of cultures, costumes, histories, customs, and pleasantries that fill the book. I ADORE (I found out through online research) the writer's intermingling of known languages, terms, etc. The amount of different languages that are melded into names, places, sentences and pronunciation makes me know that I hold a classic in my hands. I have not, as yet, decided to study, grammar-i-tize and piece apart the sentence structures, etc, because (like I said) I really don't have time for such things...

Which brings me back to where I was: reading this, instead of doing school. But, as I did weep buckets of tears (which I haven't done over a book in a while...well, a new book that is, I always cry when Walter Blythe dies, but that's an old book) and as I was careful not to let the book overwhelm my sense of morality (yes, I heard about his father-not-really-being-his-father, but I didn't want it to be true) and of course the knowledge that it is all fantasy, although expertly created fantasy.

So, for the best way of making all this understandable, I would recommend spending a couple days perusing the Inheritance Cycle.

(Ps....last bit-- most importantly-- I own an unending debt of gratitude for being allowed to read the third book before I had thought possible by some very dear people, which also freed me from being distracted by the anticipation of the secrets contained in it)
(Oh, and the 3rd book....is perfectly named. My siblings can attest that when we chanced upon a bookstore, and I recognized the art/cover and knew what it was, I could not stop talking about how wonderful it was.)

No comments: